Say no to VOCs (volatile organic compounds) and yes to essential oils! VOCs are chemicals that evaporate at room temperature, giving off irritating fumes that cause asthma, allergies, headaches, and even cancer. More than 150 chemicals that are found in cleaning products are toxic and non-biodegradable. According to the EPA, the indoor air that we breathe can be up to 70 times more toxic than the outdoor air due to VOCs found in our cleaning products. By using essential oils, which have properties such as antiviral, antibacterial and anti-fungal, we eliminate the toxins in our homes, and provide cleaner air to breathe! Not to mention it smells much better!
So here is my list on Why “go Green” with cleaning products:
- It smells great and makes cleaning more fun
- It is much more cost effective
- It is good for the environment as well as safe to use in your home
- Your family won’t be exposed to harmful toxins and chemicals
- Your kids can actually help you clean
- You won’t have to hold your breath while cleaning the shower anymore
- It cuts down on clutter
Creating a green, healthy home, means putting you and your family’s well being first. All it takes is some baking soda and vinegar and a few good essential oils, and you are well on your way. Essential oils are natural cleaning agents that have bacteria fighting properties. Almost all commercial grade cleaners can be replaced by a safer, non-toxic version. This makes green cleaning a smart alternative to harsh chemicals.
Here are my favorite cleaning essential oils:
- Lemon-antimicrobial, antiseptic, degreaser
- Eucalyptus-antibacterial, antiseptic, antiviral
- Rosemary-antiseptic, a powerful disinfecting oil
- Tea Tree- antiseptic, antimicrobial, anti-fungal
- Orange-antiseptic, good for removing sticky messes!
- Pine-antimicrobial, antiseptic, antiviral, bactericidal, insecticidal
- Clove-an excellent antiseptic oil due to its high eugenol content
- Spearmint-cleanses the air, an awakening and refreshing oil